Friday 3 May 2013

The sniffles...

My little girl is sick!!

Well not my biological little girl but my godchild! and she and her mom lives with me so it is as good as my little girl!

http://www.takechargemama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sick_child.jpgShame, poor baby woke up with the flu a voice of a 50 year old woman that has been smoking for 40 years and a cough that makes her entire little body convulse. Since I mostly work nights, mommy (and my best friend) asked me whether or not it would be possible for me to babysit our little girl while she has the sniffles.

But, and this part I'm still trying to understand, I'm getting texts every 20 minutes going

"How is she?"
"Is everything all right?"
"How's her cough?"
"What does she say? She feeling better?"

To which I repeatedly reply

"Everything is fine. Cough is gone, she playing around on the computer."

And then after 20 minutes we do the whole dance all over again. Does this ever end? Make no mistake I understand that as a parent all you ever want and all you ever think about is the well being of your child, but does the paranoia that comes along with being a parent ever dissipate? I know there are many parents in this world that doesn't care enough about their children, I'm a social worker with enough clients to know that this is a fact, but I think we should be careful to not move over into the other extreme.

It just scares me to think that might one day be me!! I think I would be a great father, I really do, but I'm frightened when I think about the fact that I will become a paranoid mess whenever my child comes up with a cough, or has to go on a play date. Is it possible to care so much about another person, even if that person is spawned from your loins, that they totally and completely possess your life?

A love that great? Does that really exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment